How To Protect Newborns In Cold Weather?
When the temperature outside starts to drop, it's important to take extra care to protect your newborn from the cold weather.
As a parent, you want to do everything to keep your newborns safe and healthy. But when it comes to cold weather, you might need help figuring out where to start.
Here are some tips to help keep your little one warm and safe during the winter months.
Dress Your Newborn In Layers
Dressing your newborn in layers is the best way to keep them warm in winter. It is important to wrap them in breathable layers, so they don't overheat.
- Start with a base layer of clothing. This can be a long-sleeved onesie or a bodysuit.
- Add a layer of pants. Fleece pants are a great option because they're warm and breathable.
- Top it off with a cute sweater, jacket, or hoodie.
- Don't forget a hat, scarf, gloves, or mittens to keep their head, neck, and hands warm.
- Check your baby often to ensure they are not too hot or cold. Layer up or down as needed.
When Going Outside, Keep Your Newborn Warm
One of the best ways to protect newborns in cold weather is to ensure they are well bundled up when they go outside. This means dressing them in warm layers, including a hat, and ensuring they are not in the path of any cold air drafts.
Give The Newborn A Warm Bath
As the weather gets colder, it's essential to take extra care when bathing your newborn. In addition, bathe your infant on alternate days during the winter to lessen the risk of catching a cold or a fever.
Here are some tips to keep your little one safe and warm while enjoying a nice bath:
- Newborns have very sensitive skin, so it's important to use water that isn't too hot or cold. Stick to lukewarm water when bathing your baby.
- Wash your baby's face and hair last. This will help prevent them from getting too cold.
- Wrap your baby in a warm towel as soon as they're out of the tub.
- Dress your baby in warm clothes and ensure they're dry before going outside.
- Keep the room warm. Close the door to keep the heat in, and consider running a space heater if needed.
Keep Newborn Skin Moisturized
As the weather gets colder, it's essential to take extra care of your baby’s skin. This is especially true for newborns with sensitive skin that can quickly become dry and irritated—applying baby lotion after every bath is a great way to keep your little one's skin hydrated and healthy all winter.
Spend Few Minutes In The Sunlight
Sunlight in winter is the best way to keep a newborn warm. The sun's rays help evaporate water on the skin and provide vitamin D, essential for a baby's developing bones.After the bath, take your baby outside for a few minutes to enjoy the sunlight. It's a great way to start the day in winter!
Maintain A Warm Sleeping Area For Newborns
It's essential to keep newborns warm while they sleep. This means ensuring their sleeping area is warm and cosy and using extra blankets if necessary. It's also a good idea to monitor the room temperature to ensure it's warm enough for them.
Make sure your newborn has a clean diaper and plenty of food. Breastfeeding is the most effective way to keep your infant warm. Follow the ideas above to keep your newborn safe and warm during cold weather.
If you're looking for affordable baby products, visit Mothercare online store today and shop happily for your little one.